Taking Stock of the Aging Policy Landscape in 2021
At our 7th annual conference in January, we took stock of a public policy landscape that has been irreversibly altered by recent elections, the pandemic, recession, and long-standing racial inequity. Convening nonprofit, public and community stakeholders and policy makers, we focused on learning what 2021 has in store for older adults in our county, and the systems, programs and funding that they rely on. Together, we elevated concrete solutions to improve health and life outcomes for older adults in our county, and gained common understanding and focus for the hard work ahead.
Our Program and Conference Materials
Event Date: Friday, January 29, 2021
- Click here for a pdf of the day’s program. Click here to see the community Jamboard where we shared our hopes for 2021.
Welcome & Wisdom from Our Community
- Wendy Peterson, Director, Senior Services Coalition of Alameda County. Click here for Wendy’s opening remarks. Click here to watch a series of brief interviews with our community members.
Conference Plenary & Keynote Conversations
Centering Equity to Advance Policy Change
- Click here to watch the keynote conversation. Click here for the community Jamboard responses that followed this session.
- Keynote: Kevin Prindiville, Executive Director, Justice In Aging
- Moderator: Kweli Kitwana, Associate Director for Policy & Advocacy, Senior Services Coalition
The Pandemic and the Economy
- Click here for a pdf of this session. Click here to watch the session. Click here for the community Jamboard responses that followed this session.
- Kimi Watkins-Tartt, Director, Alameda County Public Health Department
- Pete Coletto, Finance Director, Alameda County Social Services Agency
- Moderator: Deepa Chordiya, Outreach Manager, LIFE Elder Care
The Public Policy Landscape
- Click here for a pdf of this session. Click here to view or download California’s Master Plan for Aging. Click here to watch this session. Click here for the community Jamboard responses that followed this session.
- Anissa Basoco-Villarreal, Assistant Agency Director for Government & Community Relations, Alameda County Social Services Agency
- Faith Battles, Assistant Agency Director for Adult & Aging Services, Alameda County Social Services Agency
- Scott Coffin, CEO, Alameda Alliance for Health
- Moderator: Karen Grimsich, Administrator, City of Fremont Aging and Family Services
Voices of Our Legislative Partners
- Click here to watch this session.
- Hon. Rebecca Bauer-Kahan, California Assembly District 16
- Hon. Rob Bonta, California Assembly District 18
- Hon. Bill Quirk, California Assembly District 20
- Introduced by: Kweli Kitwana, Senior Services Coalition
Prizes to Keep Our Eyes On
- Click here for Prizes Summary and Background. Click here to watch this session.
- Moderator: Faith Battles, Assistant Agency Director for Adult & Aging Services, Alameda County Social Services Agency
- Nicole Howell, Ombudsman Services
- Cynthia Carter Perrilliat, Alameda County Care Alliance
- Dr. Jim Mittelberger, Center for Elders’ Independence
- Corinne Jan, Family Bridges
- Alexandra Boskovich, Alameda County Community Food Bank
- Wendy Peterson, Senior Services Coalition
- Marty Lynch, Lifelong Medical Care
- Margaretta Lin, Just Cities
- Claire Ramsey, Justice In Aging
- Sharon Cornu, St Mary’s Center
- Vaccine – Coordinate and Share Best Practices for Communication and Distribution. Click here for a breakout report.
- Basic Needs – Coordinate to deliver Food, Housing, Healthcare, and Support. Click here for a breakout report.
- Public Policy Advocacy – Collaborate to Fund Services and Advance Legislative and Systems Change Priorities
- CalAIM – Inform Local Planning for Medi-Cal’s Transformation. Click here for a breakout report.