Each year SSC convenes people from the silos, systems, organizations and communities that touch older people in our county. Our Making the Difference conferences explore emerging issues, illuminate challenges that we need to tackle together, and spark collaborative solutions.
Making the Difference: Striving for Equity at the Intersection of Health, Housing and Long-Term Care
At our February 24 conference, we confronted the impact of systemic discrimination that results in unnecessary institutionalization and poorer outcomes for older people of color in Alameda County. We explored the challenges of addressing these inequities, and the opportunities to rewrite the script so that all older people have access to the supports they need to live at home and have optimal health and life outcomes. For a pdf flyer of the event, click here.
SPEAKERS & PANELS
- Click here for the Conference Program.
- Click here to watch a recording of Wendy’s Opening Remarks. Click here for Wendy’s Opening Remarks. Click here for Wendy’s opening slides.
- Click here for contents from the conference chat.
Keynote Conversation: What does Equity Have to do with Aging in Community?
- Denny Chan – Managing Director, Equity Advocacy, Justice In Aging
- Dr. Terry Hill, MD, FACP – California Association of Long Term Care Medicine
- Moderator: Kweli Kitwana – Associate Director for Policy & Advocacy, Senior Services Coalition
Panel I: The Power of Community-Based Approaches
- Sophay Duch, LCSW – Senior Case Manager, LIFE ElderCare
- Roland Gigon, RN, MBA – East Bay Continuum of Care Services Director, Kaiser Permanente
- Sonya Frost – Division Director, Department of Adult & Aging Services, Alameda County Social Services Agency
- Pamela Powell – Program Manager, Alameda County Social Services Agency, Department of Adult and Aging Services
- Serom Sanftner, LCSW – Vice President of Program Services, East Bay Innovations
- Moderator: Matthew Woodruff, Chief Operating Officer, Alameda Alliance for Health
Panel II: New Populations of Focus in CalAIM – Long Term Care Residents and Those at Risk of Institutionalization
- Click here to watch a recording of the second panel.
- Click here for this panel’s slides.
- Click here for the Enhanced Care Management (ECM) Approval Request Form. Click here for the Case Management Program Referral Form. Click here for the CS Approval Request Form.
- Amy Stevenson, DNP – Clinical Manager Enhanced Case Management
- AJ Dixon, RN – Senior Program Manager, State Directed Programs=
- Moderator: Steve O’Brien, MD – Chief Medical Officer, Alameda Alliance for Health
Panel III: Making it Real – Changing the Trajectory for At-Risk Older Adults
- Kadin J Caines – Regional Strategic Implementation Manager, NCAL Kaiser Permanente Health Plan
- Kathryn Stambaugh – Geriatric Services Director, Lifelong Medical Care
- Dr. James Mittelberger – Medical Director, Center for Elders’ Independence
- Jennifer Martinez – Principal, Wellbrook Partners
- Jennifer Stephens-Pierre – Director, Alameda County Area Agency on Aging
- Moderator: Maria Zamora – CEO, Center for Elders’ Independence